Creamy Pesto Gnocchi
A creamy Italian classic easy to make as a perfect side dish or main course. This creamy pesto gnocchi has fresh pesto with a creamy twist.
- 17.6 oz package potato gnocchi
- 4 oz cream cheese or fat-free cream cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated tastes better
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
Add basil, parmesan cheese, pine nuts, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and lemon zest to a food processor and blend until you have a smooth paste and set aside
Follow the instructions on gnocchi package and cook and set aside.
In a pan over medium heat add cream cheese, chicken broth, and milk.
Stir until all the cream cheese is melted and smooth
Add pesto to cream and stir
Add gnocchi to pesto cream stir for a couple minutes and serve
- Cook the gnocchi first according to the package it comes in. It usually call for 2 minutes cooking. Then set aside until its time to add to the sauce.
- You can make the pesto ahead of time if you want. Stored in an air tight container it will last 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
- Let your cream cheese sit out for about 30 minutes before cooking to soften. This makes it easier to melt in the pan.
- I suggest using fresh Parmesan cheese either grating or shaving off a block of Parmesan because it is more flavorful when straight off the block.
- I used canned minced garlic for this recipe but fresh garlic cloves I believe taste a little better. Either will do
- This recipe calls for 17.6 ounces of gnocchi, but you can easily double the gnocchi and still have enough sauce for double the gnocchi.
- Add cooked chicken chunks or cooked shrimp to this recipe and have a full meal
Serving: 1g | Calories: 750kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 49g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 51mg | Sodium: 946mg | Potassium: 209mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1470IU | Vitamin C: 6.5mg | Calcium: 253mg | Iron: 7.5mg