This quick and easy quinoa
and brown rice asparagus
salad can be whipped up in
no time at all and has a nice
balance of grains and
vegetables all mixed in one.
I’m always trying to figure out somewhat healthy recipes any chance I get. I wouldn’t say I eat healthy every meal, but I try for the most part. I do enjoy a juicy hamburger or cheesey nachos every now and again. But my weight doesn’t agree with those guilty pleasures too often.
I’ve never been a huge rice person either. I mean of course I eat rice with my sushi, but when it comes to white rice I usually skip it or substitute if I can. Years ago my mom brought this awesome quinoa and brown rice packets to my attention and I was hooked.
You used to only be able to get it at Costco, but now you can buy it at Sam’s or even my local Walmart has them. They are so simple to make. You only need a microwave and 90 seconds and it’s ready to eat. The flavor is great too. So why not spruce it up some?
Well, I love almonds and they go great with everything. Feta cheese is a healthier cheese and I could literally just eat it alone. And of course nothing is better than grilled or baked asparagus. So there you go. Add all these great ingredients into one and you’ve got one tasty side dish.
I just laid out a bunch of asparagus out on a baking sheet with some olive oil topped with almonds. I personally like baked/roasted almonds so that’s why I went ahead and threw these in the oven when the asparagus.
Let those cook for about 20 minutes and pull out of the oven and chop into 1 inch pieces. After chopping up the asparagus cook the quinoa packet as directed on the package.
Now all you have to do is add all the ingredients to a larger bowl and enjoy. See how simple that was? No extra seasoning is even needed.
Quinoa and Brown Rice Asparagus Salad
- 1 package of Seeds of Change quinoa & brown rice with garlic
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 feta cheese crumbles
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Lay out asparagus and almonds on a baking sheet and pour olive oil over top and mix around
- Cook for 20 minutes turning the asparagus half way through
- After cooking, cut asparagus into 1 inch pieces and add asparagus and almonds to a large bowl
- Cook quinoa and brown rice packet as directed on package and add to the bowl with asparagus.
- Add feta cheese to the rest of ingredients and mix all together