With this baked chicken Parmesan
recipe you get all the great taste of
regular chicken Parmesan, but with
a lot less calories.
I have to admit I love anything that involves being made with cheese. Any cheese any way I can get it. Provolone, Havarti, Mozzarella, Brie, and the list goes on. I even got my husband to expand his cheese taste bud palate. Can’t say he’s a lover of all cheese like me, but it’s a start.
Mozzarella is one of the lowest calorie filled of cheeses you can choose. Luckily that was one of the cheeses that my husband actually enjoys. And I was shocked when I first learned he loves chicken Parmesan and always asks for extra cheese. This is the man who doesn’t want cheese on his burgers or in his burritos.
So I had to figure out how to make one of his favorite, but with a lot less calories. So instead of frying the chicken breast why not just bake it. Cutting out all that extra frying oil saves so many calories.
You want to preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a glass baking dish. I use two plates when making this. One for the bread crumb mixture and one for the egg whites.
Take the Italian bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic powder and mix together on one of your plates. On the other plate add just the egg whites.
First you want to dip both sides of your chicken breast in egg whites and then the bread crumb mixture. Then repeat with the egg whites and bread crumb mixture again and then place in the pan. Do the same with the other chicken breast.
Cook in the oven 20-30 minutes depending on the thickness of your chicken breast. I use thin cut chicken breast so it doesn’t take as long to cook. After that time remove the pan out of the oven and top each chicken breast with the spaghetti sauce and then mozzarella cheese.
Cook for another 5 minutes until the cheese is all melted and then serve. I skip on the spaghetti because for one thing my husband doesn’t like it and another I don’t need all those carbs. Sometimes I will use spaghetti squash instead of noodles and mix with spaghetti sauce.
Now you can enjoy one of the classics without ruining your diet.
Baked Chicken Parmesan
- 2 halves of chicken breast 1 whole breast
- 1/3 cup of bread crumbs Italian preferably
- 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 whites of egg
- 2 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 TSP Italian seasoning
- 1/2 TSP garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a glass baking dish
- Add bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and Parmesan cheese together on a plate and then egg whites on a separate plate
- Take a piece of chicken and dip in egg whites both sides and then in bread crumb mixture and then repeat again with egg whites and bread crumbs.
- Do the same with the other chicken piece and put both in glass baking dish and cook for 20-30 minutes depending on thickness of chicken breast.
- After cooking take dish out and put spaghetti sauce and then the mozzarella cheese on top of both pieces of chicken and put back in oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted