A casserole with a combination of cheese, chicken, and cream of soups with a Mexican twist
perfect for a delicious dinner. Your family will be coming back for seconds for this Mexican Chicken Casserole.
Don’t you just love a family recipe? Whenever you take a bite of that ole time favorite dish you’re instantly flooded with past memorizes. That is what this dish does right here. I remember helping make this Mexican chicken casserole with my grandparents when I was around the age of 10. It’s always the yummy foods that you remember anyway.
Why are all cream of soups so yummy? With this recipe we get to combine two different types of cream of soups. Yay! So now we’ll have cream of soups, cheese, and tortillas all rolled into one. Talk about YUM!
With this recipe you can cook up 2 large chicken breast halves to get 3 cups or just buy one of those rotisserie chickens for a quicker prepare time. I love to shred my chicken instead of chopped cubed chicken. There’s something just about shredded chicken that is so good.
I personally grate my own cheese with my big food processor, but already shredded cheese works just as well. Maybe even mix it up and substitute some of the cheese with pepper jack cheese for an extra little kick. You want to split up half of the cheese for the middle layer and the rest to go on top.
Using a 9×13- 3 quart glass casserole dish fits this recipe perfectly. I originally was going to put it in a 4 quart, but quickly realized a 3 quart was the right dish for thicker servings.
30 minutes in the oven and you’re ready to serve. This dish easily serves 6 equal servings that should be enough for each person. Beware you’ll be asked for seconds. Enjoy!
Mexican Chicken Casserole
- 3 cups of shredded or diced cooked chicken
- 1 small can 7oz diced green chilies
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup
- 1 can of Rotel
- 1 can of corn drained
- 1 package of corn tortillas use about 12 tortillas
- ½ medium chopped onions
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 lb of Monterrey Jack cheese
- ½ lb of sharp cheese
- ½ cup of chicken broth
- Preheat oven at 350
- Saute chopped onions and green chilies on stove top with a little butter or butter substitute
- Add the sauteed veggies with chicken, cream of soups, Rotel, corn, and chili powder and mix together in a bowl
- Grease a 9x13 casserole dish
- In a shallow bowl add your chicken broth and soak your corn tortillas in that
- Line the bottom of your dish with the broth soaked tortillas in one layer
- Then line a layer of the chicken mixture on top of tortillas with a layer of half the cheese on top
- Do another layer of tortillas, then mixture, then cheese on top
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes
- Cut into desired portion servings. Using a metal spatula is helpful to cut through the layer of tortillas