There is nothing like a
big bowl of warm
chicken noodle soup
on a cold day. This one
is packed with flavor
and is nice and hearty.
I am a total soup person. I just love soup. Especially when it’s nice and cold outside. Broth based, creamy ones, it does not matter to me. I love them all.
Living in Texas our weather can change at the drop of a hat. This past weekend it was in the twenties and then Wednesday and Thursday almost 80. So if you have a craving for a soup on a chilly day you better act fast before the weather changes again in Texas.
Chicken noodle soup was my favorite when I was a kid. And being a kid I was not picky. Just open up a can of Campbell’s soup and I was happy.
Now that I’m older I want a more grown up soup. One with more veggies and more meat. I don’t want to fill up on just liquid. I need substance.
That’s why my chicken noodle soup is the perfect one if that’s what you crave as well.
I love using rotisserie chicken whenever I can. I’ve explained it all before in past posts, but there is something about shredded chicken that I just love. A rotisserie chicken is perfect for shredding.
Using chicken breast and shredding it or just cutting it up works just as well. Whatever gets you 4 cups of chicken.
First thing is to chop up your celery and onions. Throw them in a pot with your carrots, and oil. I used Juliana carrots because they are small and already cut up so less chopping vegetables for me.
Cook these for 8 minutes and add your minced garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Add in spices and stir around.
Next add broth, chicken, parsley, and a bay leaf. Zest your lemon and squeeze half of the lemon in the soup. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and add noodle snapping into 1 inch pieces. Once the noodles are cooked it’s ready to serve.
Chicken Noodle Soup
- 4 cups of shredded or chopped chicken
- 1 1/2 cups of chopped celery
- 2 cups jullian or chopped carrots
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 8 cups of chicken broth
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 Lemon zest plus half lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of fresh parsley
- 1/2 box of angle hair pasta or spagehtti
- 1/2 TSP thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot add oil and celery, onions and carrots and cook for 8 minutes over medium high heat
- Add garlic and thyme and cook for another 2 minutes
- Add broth, chicken, bay leaves, parsley, and lemon zest and juice and bring to a boil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Break pasta into inch pieces and add to soup and cook until pasta is done