These spicy ranch
onion fries are the
perfect topper to any
entree such as steak
or salads. Or have
them alone as an
appetizer with a side
of ranch dressing.
Here we are again with another recipe involving ranch dressing seasoning. I just can’t help myself though. I am obsessed with the stuff.
So I was so surprised when I was doing some online grocery store shopping and found this spicy ranch dressing seasoning. What’s better than plain ranch dressing? Spicy ranch dressing of course. Two of my favorites combined in one.
Something else I keep my pantry stocked with are those crunchy fried onions. I keep them to put on my salads, but lets be honest I usually just eat them straight out of the bag. I just can’t say no.
So I wanted to come up with my own version of those crunchy onion fries. That’s where these spicy ranch onion fries came about.
If you don’t have a medallion slicer I highly suggest getting one. I use my all the time. If gives me those super thin slices in no time at all. Of course you can do it manually with a knife, but it’s so hard to get the perfect slices.
So the first part is slicing those onions super thin. I try to get these done as fast as I can because my eyes can’t stand it. That’s another reason I use the medallion slicer.
After your onions are cut throw them in a dish and cover with buttermilk. I like to refrigerate them for 30 minutes to let them soak up.
Right before pulling them out of the refrigerator pour your oil in a big pan and turn on medium high heat and let that heat up.
Next on a big plate mix your flour and spicy ranch dressing seasoning mix. Take a handful of the buttermilk onions and mix around in the flour mix. Then put them in the hot oil and cook for about 3 minutes until golden brown.
Cook your onions in batches so they don’t get too crowded and cook evenly. Let them cool on a plate with paper towels to soak up the extra oil.
These are so great to top on steak, chicken, and salads. It really adds a tasty kick to any meal. Me on the other hand will just eat them alone.
Spicy Ranch Onion Fries
- 1 large sweet white onion
- 16 oz buttermilk
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 spicy ranch dressing mix
- oil for cooking
- Slice onions really thin with a knife or Mendelian slicer
- Place onions in a shallow dish and cover with buttermilk and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Add enough oil to a pan that is about an inch deep. Heat to medium high heat
- Add flour and spicy ranch dressing seasoning on a plate and mix together well
- Take a bunch of onions and dip and cover in flour mixture then add to oil
- Cook in batches for about 3 minutes until golden brown and lay on a paper towel lined plate to cool