Whether you’re having a summer BBQ or having people over for the game, whipping up these Frito pie jalapeno poppers your guest won’t be disappointed.
One of my favorite comfort foods is a big ole bowl of Frito pie. Some people only get this treat when they are at sporting events or at the annual fair. But in my house it’s a once a month meal. I just love Frito pie.
Something I always usually see at a backyard BBQ party or any summer party are jalapeno poppers. And they usually are gone within minutes. There must be something about stuffed, cooked jalapenos that people love.
So why not combine the best of both worlds. That’s where the idea of Frito pie jalapeno poppers came about. I mean I never not have jalapenos on top of my Frito pie. So why not put the Frito pie on top of the jalapenos.
First you want to make your chili. If you have your own favorite chili recipe you can go with that. Or you can go with my chili recipe, which I must say is great.
Brown your ground beef, drain the grease and then add all other ingredients and cook until your chili is nice and thick and no liquid left. Then preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
I highly suggest wearing some gloves when cleaning your jalapenos. Otherwise your hands will be considered deadly weapons for at least a day with all that jalapeno over them. If you do leave any seeds behind in the jalapeno shells it will make them spicier. So you’ve been warned.
Fill each jalapeno slice with a good amount of chili and place on a baking sheet. Next pop those in the oven for 20 minutes.
After cooking you are now going to top with liquid cheese and Fritos. A quick tip take your cheese and put it in a sandwich bag and barley snip off a corner of the bag. Then squeeze out that hole to drizzle across the jalapenos.
Next crush up your Fritos and then sprinkle over top. Now your Frito pie jalapeno poppers are ready to serve. Just watch them disappear as your guest enjoy.
Frito Pie Jalapeno Poppers
- 12 Medium Jalapenos
- 3 oz Fritos
- 6 oz cheese sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can kidney beans 15oz
- 1 can rotel 10 oz
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 oz
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp dried minced onion
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sugar
- Brown ground beef and drain fat
- Drain rotel and kidney beans and add them plus all other ingredients to browned beef and bring to a boil and reduce to low heat and cover and let cook until no liquid left
- While chili is cooking preheat oven to 375 and slice jalapenos long ways and scoop out all the seeds. WEAR GLOVES TO DO THIS
- After chili is done will all jalapenos slices with chili and place on a baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes
- Add your cheese sauce to a sandwich bag and cut one corner just barely. When peppers are done cooking squeeze the cheese out of that one corner and drizzle over peppers.
- Crush up some fritos and sprinkle over top of jalapenos